Sunday, December 31, 2006

 

Fitting the elevators

I have put the elevators on and off more times than I care to remember in the last few days. Sometimes I get the bolts in quite easily, other times it takes 10 minutes per bolt. The good news for me is that it is finally all coming together. I have shaved the HS skin until I finally have just more than the minimums, for elevator deflection. The lead is installed.

Because I have the heavier gauge elevator skins, there is quite a bit more lead back there than I expected. You pay the weight penalty twice. The first time the weight of the heavier skin, the second time the lead to balance it. This left tip is stuffed with lead to balance the extra weight of the trim tab and motor. After it is painted I will be able to drill some lead out of the inner face since it is currently nose heavy.



At the risk of embarasssing myself I will post another picture, but it leaves no doubt as to my untidyness!

It is not a big issue, but once again the quality of the fiberglass mouldings is a little disapointing; air pockets in the glass covered in gelcoat, and on one of them, the upper and lower half of the fairing are poorly aligned.









Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?